Trying to decide on the best location for your custom home? Some prefer to live in a community and others prefer to find their own land. There are definite advantages to both options, but it really comes down to your personal preference on how you want to live. This is an important decision because if you’re taking the time to build a custom home, you probably intend to live there for many years. Will this be your “forever home”? If so, you want to get it right.
There are many new communities with available lots for building custom homes in Greensboro, NC, as well as open land for sale in the surrounding area. Consider the advantages and disadvantages of each one to help you make your decision.
Building in a Community
- Homesites in a new home community are ready to build. Water, sewer, electricity, natural gas, and even media are likely already available on each lot.
- Close proximity to neighbors for security and a sense of community.
- May have sidewalks, street lights, and other neighborhood amenities.
- For some, close proximity to neighbors is not an advantage. If you prefer more privacy, you may want to avoid building in a new home community.
- A lot in a community will generally be smaller than a separate piece of land.
- Lots are usually fully cleared of all trees to make building easier, which doesn’t leave much natural landscape.
Building on your Own Lot
- You will likely have a larger lot if you find your own land than if you choose a community lot.
- Your home can be built around the landscape if you prefer a more natural setting with existing trees.
- Outside of a community, you may be able to enjoy more privacy, peace, and quiet if that’s what you prefer.
- If water, sewer, electricity, and other utilities are not readily available, there will be a cost to have those set up on your land.
- You may not have close neighbors if you’re concerned about safety and security.
- When you’re outside of a community, you may not have any control over how the land around you is used in the future.
Making the Best Choice for your Family
Deciding where to live is a decision couples and families should make together. Discuss the pros and cons and then see what land is available and where before making any final decisions. Not all communities are the same. The above points are based on the typical characteristics of new home communities and private land.
Don Mills Builds Custom Homes in Greensboro, NC on Both Types of Land
Wherever you choose to purchase land, Don Mills Builders can design and build a custom home that will suit you and your family. If this is to be your dream home, it should be done your way with all the features you want, both inside and out. Don Mills Builders can build custom homes in Greensboro, NC in any of the highly desired new home communities or on a plot of land of your choosing.
Call (336) 362-1777 today to schedule a free consultation or request a quote.